Monday, January 6, 2014

21 Days.

A few weeks ago our pastor gave us a challenge to complete The Daniel Fast.  The literal context of this fast is dietary based.  I have not ever completed the fast in the premise that it was intended.  I'd be lying if I said that I would complete it for the purposes of focusing on God and prayer.  I am not in a position to be fasting with these restrictions for 21 days.  I also know this would require some planning and I'm not going to do that either.  Lazy, yes.  I admit it.

I did decide to complete a 21 day challenge that does include food.  I made a menu for the entire month of January.  We, as a family, are not going 'out to lunch or dinner' and this includes fast food.  No restaurant receipts for the month of January.  No Starbucks, no Chick fil A, no Bagel Meister, no Taco Bell, and no Wendy's.  I did this last January with Target.  We broke up for a whole month last year and I didn't die.  I am going to do the same with fast food and dining out for 21 days this month.  I plan to do the WHOLE month, which is 31 days and possibly the scariest thing I could even dream of doing.

Who decides to skip fast food and dining out while pregnant with two preschoolers while their husband is coaching and gone from home every weekend?  Me.  I do.

I plan to do this for a few reasons....

  1. I have intentions of using this 'fast' to refocus my heart and priorities on God and my family.  21 days will be enough for me to accomplish that.  I have a lot that I need to reorganize in my life, heart, and family.  I have had a lot on my mind and heart lately, but I'll elaborate more on that later this month.
  2. It will save my family money.  During the months of December and January we have 6 weeks between paychecks and it gets tight!  I know that choosing to keep dollars in the bank will allow me some breathing room and less stress for the month.
  3. It will be a much healthier option for my family.  Cooking at home is easier for me when I properly plan and it is much healthier for us as well.  Plus, we usually have leftovers and we can use those for lunch at work, again saving money!
  4. I love a challenge.  I think I'll give that credit to my father.  I don't like to lose.  I'm a fierce competitor and I'm beyond ready to prove to myself that this is possible!  Part of my own accountability is going to be moving money each time I have a craving or just want to stop by for an easy meal.  I plan to move, deposit, transfer, withdraw, something... $5 each time.  I'll be adding that to the Disney fund at the end of the month!  
Bottom line, I'm excited to participate in my challenge.  I've got a few of them brewing for the month of January, with intentions to complete all of them.  

1 comment:

  1. We aren't exactly doing the Daniel fast, but we are getting back on track with a written budget, savings plan, and meal planning! I'm going to spend the next few months trying different methods to both save money and prepare meals. This month I'll be buying everything once at the beginning of the month, cooking a meal each day for 4 weeks and freezing the 3 we don't eat that night. And yes! Planning is SO much cheaper and SO much healthier.

    Go us!

    ReplyDelete